To be able to properly compare car hire insurance packages and prices you need to know what is included. That includes all the acronyms, whether or not they have a value, or are even necessary for your rental. This in-depth article looks at exactly what is, and what is not included with your reservation. The information should help you to understand what you are getting, and enable an informed choice about any optional extras.
Our pre-paid rental vouchers include everything you need to drive legally in the USA with a zero excess. You may feel that you want a little extra security and that is fine, if, you make an informed choice. What we hope to avoid is a panicky acceptance of optional extras because of pressure selling at the desk.
What car hire insurance is included with my Fully Inclusive Pre-Paid Rental Voucher?
1. Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
2. Additional Liability Insurance (ALI)
3. Additional Items in the USA:
- Zero excess
- Unlimited Mileage
- Customer Facility Charges (CFC) charged by the airport for local infrastructure projects (except Chicago O’Hare)
- Homeland Security Fees (HSF) charged by the airport to recover costs for Homeland Security
- Local, State & Airport Taxes (on the items included within your voucher)
- Road Fees
- The vehicle will be supplied with a full tank and must be returned full. Alternatively you can pay for a tank of fuel on arrival and return empty
What is included with my Diamond Package Pre-paid Rental Voucher?
Our Diamond package includes all of the above, your initial tank of fuel (return empty) and up to 3 additional drivers.
What is Included with my Young Driver Package Pre-paid Rental Voucher?
Our Young Driver Package includes all of the above, your initial tank of fuel, up to 3 drivers aged 21 – 24, or 3 additional drivers aged over 25, or a combination of both up to a total of 4 drivers.
What is not included with my Pre-Paid Rental Voucher?
1. Personal Accident Insurance (PAI)
2. Emergency Sickness Protection
Emergency Sickness Protection (ESP) is available to all non U.S. citizens who possess a valid non-U.S. passport at the time of rental. It provides certain medical benefits for some sicknesses for the renter and any person who is a member of the renter’s travelling party. Your travel insurance is likely to provide superior and cheaper cover for this.
ESP is not a standard inclusion of our insurance packages. The desk clerk may offer ESP on arrival.
3. One-Way Fees
If a one-way fee is displayed for your trip, you will pay this locally. The fee is in addition to your car hire cost.
4. Enhanced Roadsafe Assistance/Roadside Assistance (RA)
- Flat Battery (a faulty battery is covered)
- Damage caused by putting the wrong fuel type in the car (e.g. putting diesel in a petrol car)
- Broken Windows/Windscreens (such as a chip to the screen)
- Punctures or Tyre loss (e.g. if damaged by hitting the curb. Covered if worn)
- Key replacement if you lose the key
- Roadside assistance if you lock yourself out of the car
- Damage to: underside; roof; interior or child seats, caused by your negligence
Top Up Car Hire Insurance
Coverage Generally Includes:
- Physical damage to windscreens, tyres and undercarriage.
- Towing costs relating to the loss or damage.
- Up to £100 to cover the costs of locking yourself out of the vehicle
- Up to £300 to replace the key of the car if lost or stolen