There are some crucial differences to insurance packages for car hire in Canada rather than the USA. At the top of the page we address those that apply to all drivers. After that we address the particular issues relevant to drivers under 25 years.
There is an excess of $800 CAD with Alamo and National in Canada whatever the age of the driver. This amount is held as a deposit when you collect the car. The excess applies to the CDW and Theft Protection.
An excess of $500 CAD with Dollar, Hertz and Thrifty applies in Canada for drivers 25 or over. This is doubled to $1,000 CAD for driver’s aged 21 – 24 years. This amount is held as a deposit when you collect the car and applies to the CDW and Theft Protection.
Routes Car and Truck Rentals has an excess of $2,000 CAD whatever the age of the driver.
Driving Licence and Identification
Your full driving licence must be held for a minimum period as shown in the bullets below.
- Alamo and National – 1 year
- Dollar and Thrifty – 1 year
- Hertz – 2 years
- Routes – 1 year
It is essential that the lead driver holds a credit card in their name. Cash or debit card deposits are not acceptable at any location for any supplier. Any driver may be asked for an additional form of identification when collecting the car. A passport is sufficient for this. Proof of a return airline ticket may also be required.
Additional Driver Fees
- Alamo and National – $9.99 CAD per day
- Dollar and Thrifty – $13.50 CAD per day
- Hertz – $13.50 CAD per day
- Routes – $10.99 CAD per day
Limited mileage in some locations
- Dollar and Thrifty – Unlimited Mileage from all locations.
- Alamo and National – Rates include unlimited mileage/kilometre in all locations except rentals commencing at the following locations: Gaspe, Jasper, Matane, Mont Joli, Regina, Rimouski, Riviere du Loup, and Sept Iles. Here the following applies: The mileage limit is 200 km per day / 1400 km per week.
- Hertz – Unlimited Mileage from all locations.
- Routes – 3500 km per week
One way’s and Driving outside Province/Country
Many locations will not permit one-way reservations or travel outside their particular province. Ensure you have permission to drive outside the country. Failure to get permission could invalidate your insurance.
Alamo and National rentals in British Columbia may only drive within British Columbia and Alberta. Vehicles rented in Canada can drive into the United States, but must return to Canada.
With Dollar and Thrifty, in most cases, vehicles can drive in any state in the contiguous United States and Canada. Vehicles can be taken on ferries. However, cars can not be used if the destination of the ferry is to a site with gravel or unpaved roads. Vehicles can not travel into Alaska, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, or Mexico.
Drivers Under 25 – Canada
Unlike the USA there is no ‘Young Driver’s Package’ for car hire in Canada. Because of this, when obtaining a quote from TripWheels drivers must search as if 25 years or older. As well as all the relevant information above, the following will also apply to drivers under 25 years.
Daily Surcharge Fee
As drivers under 25 you will pay a daily surcharge of $25 CAD per driver with Alamo and National, rising to $30 CAD per driver for Dollar, Thrifty and Hertz. Routes Car and Truck Rental charges $8 CAD per driver per day. Unless you take the Premium package to include 1 or more additional driver fees, you will also pay an additional driver fee for any drivers added upon collection.
Vehicle Size Restrictions
There is a category restriction on the size of vehicle available to hire by drivers under 25 years in Canada. Aged 21 – 24 years old you may drive the following car categories:
- Full size
Larger or speciality vehicles such as minivans, SUVs and convertibles are not available.
Driving Restrictions for Under 25s
Drivers under 25 can not hire cars from Alamo and National in the following locations:
- Vancouver: – International Airport; Vancouver Airport – South Terminal; Cruise Ship Terminal; Marine Drive; Pan Pacific
- Chilliwack Airport
- Victoria: – International Airport; Downtown/Inner Harbour; Midtown; Colwood; Sidney
- Campbell River Airport,
- British Columbia Nanaimo Airport
- British Columbia Comox Airport
- Abbotsford International Airport
- Port Hardy Airport
- Cranbrook Airport
- Deer Lake Airport,
- Newfoundland Gander International Airport,
- St Johns Airport -Newfoundland